Sex during the winter is kind of the ultimate paradox: You’re stuck inside with your partner, but it’s so cold you don’t know how you can possibly get it on without catching hypothermia. Sure, that’s an exaggeration (because modern heating systems), but when it’s cold as all hell outside, the last thing you want to do is take your clothes off.
We get it. What to do about a raging libido when the weather is not for it? Introduce a blanket during sex, of course. Sure, it doesn’t sound like feminist porn-quality eroticism, but we promise it can be hot.
Here are seven sex positions you can easily do under a blanket when it’s cold as the Arctic outside. And don’t forget, it’s okay to leave your socks on during sex this time of year. No one is going to blame you. Orgasms are few and far between if your toes are cold.
Enjoy, and best of luck keeping off the chill.
1 Mid-Winter Missionary
- Missionary is an easy position to pull off under a blanket (and it’s low-key underrated in general). Have your partner climb on top of you and pull the covers over him or her to the shoulders.
- For extra clitoral stimulation, put a few pillows underneath your butt for lift (this is also known as coital alignment technique). That way you’ll be able to grind your clitoris against your partner’s pubic bone. Plus, pillows add to the cozy atmosphere of your winter sex sesh.
- You can even use your hands to secure the blanket to the bed, if it should slip. You’ll be wrapped like two piggies in a blanket.
2 Winter Bear
- The Winter Bear is perfect for anyone who is looking to stay warm during these freezing months.
- Get in child’s pose, butt in the air. Your partner should grab a blanket and wrap it around the two of you. Have your partner wrap his or her body around you while entering from behind, much like a bear. You’ll get deep penetration, plus the warmth of your partner’s skin.
- Bonus: It’s also a great stretch for your hip flexors. This position is a little like spooning, a little like doggy—and a lot of fun.
3 Snuggled Spoon
- If it’s ridiculously cold, but you’re too amped up to skip sex, get in the spoon position. Lie on your side and have your partner lie behind you. Pull the covers up and get cozy before you start having sex from behind.
- A classic spoon is a great wintery sex position for a number of reasons, but the most obvious is its close proximity to cuddling. Who doesn’t want to be cuddled when it’s freezing outside?
- That said, while spooning is a fabulous position, it can be hard to get your clitoris involved when both of your legs are closed. So for a variation on this position, rather than having your partner lie directly behind you, have him or her lie beneath you while you’re on your back. Drape your legs over his or her side and open your knees. You’ll have optimal clit access while keeping this lazy position intact.
- Before you start having sex, grab a blanket and drape it over the two of you. This will not only keep you toasty, but will up the intimacy that this position already offers. Not being able to see your partner’s naked body is kind of mysterious and hot…like you’re doing something you’re not supposed to be doing.
4 Wrapped Lotus
- Lotus is a very intimate sex position; perfect for those chilly nights when you want to stay warm with your partner. To do lotus, have your partner sit up and climb onto his or her lap, face-to-face.
- Before you sit, grab the blanket and wrap it around yourself like a cape. When you get into the position, you can wrap it all the way around you and your partner. You’ll be super snug. Plus, the deep kisses this position allows are super sexy. Hello, orgasm!
5 Hot Doggy
- Doggy style is great and all, but it isn’t the ideal position for keeping warm when it’s freezing outside. Being on all-fours is not exactly optimal for blanket support.
- Instead, try the hot doggy. This modified position allows you all the skin-to-skin contact and warmth you crave without missing out on the sexiness that is doggy style. Instead of getting on your hands and knees, lie flat. Have your partner pull the blanket over the two of you, before lying over you for intercourse.
6 Cocooned Cowgirl
- When it’s so cold that your nipples could cut icicles, the last thing you might want to do is get on top during sex. I mean, let’s be real. Cowgirl is exhausting on its best day. Hello, cardio workout.
- To make it easier (and warmer), try this alternative take: In lieu of sitting straight up, lie flat against your partner, placing your elbows on either side of their face. You’ll be able to set the pace and get as much attention to your clitoris as you want. Grinding is so much better than bouncing.
- Before lying flat, wrap the blanket over the two of you like tent. This will keep you warm during all that wild (and not exhausting and horrible) passion. If you get too hot, pull the blanket over your shoulders like Wonder Woman’s cape.
You don’t have to do much in this position, which is also amazing. Three cheers for laziness!