Sex toys play a few important roles. They can help you get off when the mood strikes, ensure you’ll reach orgasm in bed, and add an element of spice when you’re getting frisky with your partner.
Couples sex toys also encourage more openness and playfulness in your sex life, says sex therapist Debra Laino. Not only that, bringing a couple’s toy into your bedroom spices things up. “Some couples get stuck in boring ruts in the bedroom and because of this they can become complacent with sex,” Laino says. Adding a toy to the mix can change that. “Even if your experience with a new toy isn’t a perfect 10, the associated experimentation, anticipation, and positive nervousness can make sex more exciting,” O’Reilly says.
And, while you may have a toy or two for yourself, it’s not a bad idea to think about investing in a sex toy that will work for both of you. A couple’s sex toy isn’t just about pleasure—although that’s important, too. It can also make you both more in-tune to each other’s needs. “Sex toys can generate new conversations with regard to likes, dislikes, desires, fantasies, and boundaries,” says Jessica O’Reilly, PhD, host of the @SexWithDrJess Podcast. “The mere presence of a toy can get couples talking and laughing.”
And, of course, using a new toy can help you both discover new pathways to your own pleasure that you didn’t even know you had.
If you’re interested in trying out a couple’s sex toy, it can be hard to know where to start. That’s why we consulted sex experts for their top picks. Try one or several of these out to kick your sex life up a notch.
1 Mini Winachi
- This little personal massager is waterproof and it can be used on your clitoris, his testicles, and everyone’s nipples. The bendable head also helps you hit those hard-to-reach places without doing crazy acrobatics. “This is also great to explore where your partner likes to be vibrated,” Laino says.
2 Inflatable Position Pillow
- Sure, you probably have your go-to sex positions, but using a sex wedge allows you to mix things up a bit and help him go even deeper without any crazy acrobatics. “It really inspires new and more comfortable positions in and around the bed,” O’Reilly says. There are several different types of sex wedges out there, but O’Reilly recommends this blow-up version to reduce clutter in your bedroom.
3 Lelo Oden
- A vibrating cock ring has two important roles: It helps give him a stronger, harder erection by stimulating bloodflow to his penis while the vibrating sensations target your clitoris, Laino says. So, everybody wins. The Oden is coated with soft silicone and is fully waterproof, making it great for shower play.
4 Lelo IDA
- The IDA is designed to target your G-spot while causing vibrations that stimulate your clitoris at the same time. You can also use it to target your partner’s perineum. A handheld remote lets you take turns controlling the pleasure for each other.
5 We-Vibe Sync
- “This really does set the standard for couples toys,” O’Reilly says. The Sync uses a vibrator that fits on you and is controlled by your partner via an app that can be used from anywhere. It’s perfect for long business trips when you can’t be together. (Here’s a first hand account of just how good an orgasm can be with a couples vibrator.)
6 Sex Stool
- A great way to mix up your sex positions, the sex stool allows you to hover over your partner without putting a lot of weight on your thighs, Laino says. “It’s fun and unique and you can use this in many different positions,” she adds. (Check out these 10 best sex positions that aren’t missionary—and you don’t have to be an athlete to pull them off.)