It hardly needs to be mentioned that anti-aging refers to any process that stops or slows down the aging process.
Ever since our birth, our bodies are always making new cells.
This cell growth begins at infancy and continues during childhood and early adulthood.
It is generally believed that over the years, the process of skin generation slows down which in turn reflects in the way we look.
Our skin gradually turns dull and gets a sagging appearance.
Two theories are believed to cause aging- according to the damage concept; aging is brought about by the accumulation of damage.
Internal processes like DNA methylation may also be responsible for the same.
Going by Gottschling, Dillin, and Nystrom, aging is one of the most crucial risk factors in many human diseases.
Of the 1,50,000 people who die daily, the death of more than two-thirds is due to age-related factors.
Top anti-aging treatments:
The following are some of the most effective and popular anti-aging treatments.
However, make sure you consult your dermatologist before opting for any of these:
CO2 Fractional Laser Therapy
This treatment combines traditional CO2 laser therapy with the latest laser applications.
A protein in our skin called collagen is an essential constituent in the connecting tissue which is concerned with making our skin tight and wrinkle-free.
This collagen slowly undergoes damage, thanks to the natural aging process coupled with prolonged exposure to the sun and pollution.
This, in turn, leads to the formation of wrinkles.
The Fractional Laser Therapy sends small beams of energy into the skin and accelerates the production of collagen.
Thus, your skin regeneration happens faster, and there are fewer side effects.Another benefit of this therapy is that it needs minimal recovery time.
This treatment uses fillers that are injected into the skin to lend it a more youthful and natural look.
This process is also called volumizing.
According to studies conducted to the University of Michigan, some of the fillers (based on hyaluronic acid) not only give a boost to collagen production but also minimize their breakdown.
What makes this treatment beneficial is that you need not undergo any surgery or painful laser treatment.
These are substances that fight the aging process by destroying free radicals in the skin.
Free radicals are unstable molecules that happen to form due to prolonged exposure to the sun and pollution, thus inflicting damage to the collagen.
These are molecules that trigger the production of collagen.
Studies on some peptides have indicated that they prevent the development of wrinkled on our facial muscles.
Derivatives of Vitamin A, the retinoids, have been proven to be excellent products that impede aging.
It was suggested by a study conducted on a group, with the average age being 87, that retinoids bring about a perceptible improvement in skin appearance.
Start the anti-aging process early by using wrinkles creams, eye serums, and other anti-aging skin care products that can help diminish the signs of aging.
There are also some essential habits that should be followed to help create your own anti-aging skincare plan.
These are as follows:
- Protect your skin from the sun by wearing hats, long sleeves, sunglasses, etc. Also, slather on the sunscreen every time you are stepping out in the sun.
- Avoid indoor tanning as it exposes you to harmful UV rays which accelerate skin aging.
- It is crucial to apply moisturizer every day since our skin turns drier with age, leading to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Moisturizer traps water in our skin, making it look more youthful.
- Wash away dirt and grime twice a day, preferably with warm water and a mild cleanser.
- Quit smoking, as tobacco smoke contains toxins that cause dull and dry complexion, premature lines and wrinkles, loss of skin’s firmness, and so on.
- Eat healthy foods, primarily in the form of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
- Get sufficient sleep, as it will give your body the time to refresh and renew itself.